CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 18, 2011

As I looked around my very messy house the other day, a poem that my mom had framed on the wall when we were growing up came back to my memory. It talked about sometimes letting the housework go to enjoy the moments with the little ones who seem to grow up much too quickly! I actually took my camera and snapped a few pictures of the mess, just to remember one day how "busy" life was :)

I actually found the whole poem on another blog site this week, talking about the same thought that I had had the week before, enjoying the moments because the housework will always be there:
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
R H Hamilton
So, we chose to bundle up the baby, and head outside to ride bikes on the street and pick up treasures on a nature walk!
And, I found that the laundry, toys and dishes were all still there when we got back...patiently waiting! ;)

4 comments:

Cheryl Gilbert said...

You are SUCH a great mom! :)

Charlie said...

I LOVE that you took pictures of your house with all the "evidence" of the fun your kids had been having! My mom had the same poem hanging up at our house growing up. Thanks for the great reminder of what's really important. Your family is so blessed to have you!

Oh Joy said...

good reminder for sure! you should see my house right now - not that I would ever have enough humility to post pictures of it online!! ;) looks like I need to work on being present in the moment AND my pride!!

Oh Joy said...

(and I couldn't agree more - you are a GREAT mom, and your family is SO blessed!!)